Are you a clinical investigator in an umc working on medical-scientific research that falls under the scope of the Medical Research Involving Human Subjects Act (WMO)? Then you are required to take the Basic course on Regulations and Organisation for clinical investigators (Basiscourse Regelgeving en Organisatie voor Klinisch Onderzoekers; BROK®), which was developed at the initiative of the NFU.
During the course, part of which is offered as online e-learning, you will learn about the legislation, responsibilities and agreements associated with medical-scientific research. The BROK® prepares you for your role. Well-trained investigators produce better quality work and contribute to an attractive climate for clinical research in the Netherlands. The BROK® is accessible to staff of other institutions than umc’s, like top clinical hospitals. Only BROK®-certified clinical investigators are permitted to conduct WMO research.
Course and certificate
The BROK® consists of an e-learning part (eBROK®) in Dutch or English and a centre-specific meeting. You can work through the material at your own pace. The BROK® can be customised, to suit the type of research to be conducted and meet the needs of the individual investigator. The course concludes with a digital exam. You become BROK®-certified once you have completed the e-learning part, attended the centre-specific meeting, and passed the exam successfully. Here are a few more facts about the course and the certificate:
- The examination standards and learning objectives apply nationwide;
- The BROK® has fundamental and advanced modules;
- Graduates receive a certificate that is valid for three years and are recorded in the BROK®-register;
- The date on which the registration loses its validity is stated on the BROK®-certificate and can be found in the BROK®-register;
- Agreements about the exam and (re)certification are recorded in the Education and examination regulations (Opleidings- en examenreglement, OER);
- For students and doctoral candidates, the BROK® is worth 1.5 EC (ECTS) points (if passed successfully);
- From 25 August 2020, each passed BROK® exam is accredited with the ABFE/ABAN (16 points).
The BROK® certificate is extended by following the re-registration course. It is the investigator's own responsibility to renew the BROK® registration before the expiration date. So no reminder will be sent. For medical specialists who complete the re-registration, the BROK® has been ABFE/ABAN accredited for 5 points since September 14, 2021.
Do you have any questions about the content of the course, (re)certification or (re)registration? Or would you like to enrol directly in the course, resit or recertification?
Substantive questions about the course, (re)certification, (re)registration or direct registration for the course, resit or recertification? Check out the eBROK website. Can't find the answer to your question in the Frequently Asked Questions? Please contact the service desk via firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on +31 06 403 500 49.
BROK®-certified? Then you will be registered in the BROK®-register.